Here is the List of most common Engine Troubles and Their Causes , This could support you to identified a engine issue and find a solution at the same time.
Common Engine Troubles and Their Causes
ENGINE FAILS TO START
1. Ignition switch turned off.
2. Battery weak.
3. Defective or broken electrical circuit.
4. Fouled or broken spark plug.
5. Insufficient or poor gasoline.
6. Poor carburetor.
7. Bad compression due to:
(a) Incorrect valve timing.
(b) Defective or poorly fitted cylinder heat /gasket.
(c) Poor grade engine oil.
(d) Lack of lubrication oil.
(e) Cracked spark plug.
(f) Congealed piston rings.
(g) Sticky valves or weak or broken valve springs.
Related Articles – cooling system , Causes of engine over heating
ENGINE SMOKES AT EXHAUST
1. Too much oil.
2. Incorrect viscosity of oil used.
3. Poor Mixture due to carburetor.
4. Worn or broken piston rings.
5. Racing engine.
ENGINE SMOKES AT BREATHER PIPE:
1. Crank case overheated.
2. Tight bearings.
3. Scored cylinders.
4. Incorrect or insufficient oil.
SLUGGISH ACTION OF ENGINE:
1. Retarded spark.
2. Poor carbonation.
3. Incorrect valve action.
4. Wrong lubricating oil.
ENGINE MISFIRING OR RUNNING IRREGULAR:
1. Carbon on spark plug.
2. Insufficient gas supply.
3. Defective vacuum gas system.
4. Mixture too rich or too lean.
5. Valve stuck.
6. Air leaks in manifold.
7. Worn or broken piston rings.
Related Articles – Chevy Brakes Problems Solved
REGULAR BUT WEAK EXPLOSIONS:
1. Loose spark plugs or valve, caps.
2. Valves leak.
3. Weak valve springs.
4. Mixture too lean or too rich.
5. Insufficient lubrication.
1. Priming cock open.
2. Defective or improperly fitted cylinder gasket.
3. Broken spark plug.
4. Scored cylinder walls.
5. Loosely connected exhaust pipe.
6. Leaking intake manifold.
1. Spark advanced too far.
2. Precognition due to carbon.
3. Fuel mixture too rich.
4. Loose bearings.
5. Worn bearings.
6. Cylinders loose on crank case.
7. Loose fly wheel.
8. Engine labors.
9. Carburetor defective.
1. Ignition switch off.
2. Broken circuit ins electric system.
3. Contact in timer poor.
4. Battery weak.
5. No gasoline.
6. Vacuum system not working.
ENGINE OVERHEATS :
1. Over retarded spark.
2. Incorrect timing of valves.
3. Insufficient water circulation.
4. Defective water circulation:
(a) Clogged radiator or hose.
(b) Water pump not functioning.
5. Fan not corking.
6. Continued use of low gear.
7. Racing engine.
8. Poor carbonation.
9. Lack of oil.
10. Clogged muffler.
11. Defective exhaust:
(a) Exhaust valves not opening sufficiently.
(b) Exhaust passages closed.
Related Articles – Chevy Rear Axle Problems Solved
BACK-FIRE IN MUFFLER:
1. Spark retarded too far.
2. Spark insufficient:
(a) Weak battery.
(b) Defective plugs or wrong gap.
(c) Weak magneto or points not right.
3. Exhaust valves stick.
4. Poor carbonation, mixture weak in gas.
DON’TS FOR OPERATING A CAR:
1. Don ‘t attempt to start car with switch off.
2. Don ‘t advance spark when starting motor.
3. Don ‘t allow clutch to engage sullenly.
4. Don’t expect motor to run without gasoline.
5. Don’t race engine.
6. Don’t fail to examine your battery every two weeks.
7. Don ‘t apply brakes suddenly.
8. Don’t turn corners at high speed.
9. Don’t neglect keeping radiator filled with water.
10. Don’t neglect to keep tires inflated.
11. Don’t neglect lubrication of any part of ear.
12. Don’t fail to investigate any unusual sound. 1:1. Don’t use starter to run car.
14. Don ‘t attempt to shift into reverse with ear moving forward.
13. Don ‘t attempt to stop ear suddenly on wet pavement.
Related Articles – Chevy Transmission Problems Solved
12 Major Engine Problems and Causes Article Source : Auto Data Book